KALE SALAD WITH RICOTTA SALATA & FRIED SCALLIONS
- 2 bunches of Lactino kale, de-stemmed
- 2 bunches green onions/scallions
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/4 c castelvetrano olives, pitted & chopped
- 1/4 c toasted nuts: pine nuts, almonds or hazelnuts
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 large garlic clove
- Flaky salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
Make the dressing: chop the white parts of the scallions on the bias. Heat the olive oil in a small pan and fry the scallions until golden brown, be careful not to burn. Remove from the heat, and strain out the scallions, reserving the oil. Place the fried scallions on a paper towel to dry out. In a small bowl, whisk together the champagne vinegar, honey, sea salt and microplane the garlic into the mixture. Slowly whisk in the scallion oil. Set aside.
Rinse and de-stem the kale, and chop into fine ribbons and place into a large salad bowl. Shave the fennel bulb into the salad. Add the chopped olives.
Toast the nuts with a touch of olive oil and sea salt.
Toss the salad with the dressing and garnish with shaved ricotta salata cheese, toasted nuts and fried scallions.